Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Life Of A Teenage Girl In An Organic Home


The Life Of A Teenage Girl In An Organic Home

Many people have asked me, "What's it like to be raised organically?"  
Well, to begin, my family wasn't always organic.  My mom used to fix meals just like anybody else, using the same products, etc.  Though, she always been extremely thrifty and money smart about food.  My mom only went shopping once a month to Wal-Mart and she only bought what was necessary.  Any "snack foods," Mom would usually skip over.  The only snack foods we would eat (and this still applies even today) are pretzels, Oreos or Chips Ahoy, Fudge Rounds or Swiss Roll Cakes, and tortilla chips.  Mom's belief has always been if you want something sweet, fix it yourself.  So, if I'm craving something sweet and we're out of the snack foods, I have to bake a batch of cookies.  Personally, I think Mom made that policy so she doesn't have to bake herself.  
Around the time I was in middle school, Mom read this book called The Maker's Diet, and she really got into it.  Like really into it.  I didn't like it one bit.  What kid would like it?  She was talking about spelt flour, spinach noodles, and the new word...organic.  What kid would even know what those things were?  So, then the food began to change in the house.  White bread became grain bread.  Creamy peanut butter was replaced by almond butter.  Organic milk.  Almond milk.  Soy milk.  Yogurt.  Olive oil.  Spelt everything.  More greens.  Sometimes no meat at meals.
WHAT?!  
That's exactly what I thought for several years. 
WHAT?!
Then, my sister got into it.  She became a vegan, but we like to call her a flexitarian.  She'll eat meat if it's local, and it was raised organically.  
It was nonsense. 
Hours and hours, I've heard so many conversations and lectures about eating healthy, living longer, etc.  
But then one day, I thought.
One day, I'll be having kids.  I'll have to make a decision.  
Do I want my kids to eat healthy?  To be smart?  To not be a part of the 33% of people who are obese?  Yes, I'll raise my kids organically.  I want the best for my kids just like my mom wants the best for me.  
So when people do ask that question, I answer them simply.
"It's different, but I wouldn't change it for the world."

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment